Close this search box.

Director Do you need to register for and complete Self Assessment?

Tony Dhanjal

register for self assessment

This Article Contains

For lots of people in the UK tax and national insurance isn’t a subject they pay a lot of attention to. This is because for a number of income sources such as employment income and pension income tax is normally deducted as source by the issuer. The recipient of the income doesn’t necessarily need to involve themselves with the calculation or declaration of those taxes other than when they want to check the amounts deducted. There are however many sources of income where tax is not deducted at source and in this case the recipient of the income may need to register for self assessment in order to declare and pay any liability. In this article we will look at when an individual may need to register for self assessment by breaking down the requirements of each income source where tax in not usually deducted at source as well as looking at other reasons to register for self assessment.

Who Needs To Complete A Self Assessment?

You may need to register for self assessment and complete a tax return if you are in receipt of untaxed income in a given tax year and in some situations like UK bank interest even when tax has already been deducted at source . The most common reasons that HMRC identify are listed below. We will then look in more detail at each reason later in the article:

  1. You were trading as a self employed individual
  2. You were a partner in a partnership
  3. You receive rental income
  4. You receive tips and commissions
  5. You have income from savings, investments and dividends
  6. You have foreign income
  7. You receive child benefit and you or your partner earn over £50,000
You may also want to register for self assessment for other reasons such as claiming some tax reliefs or to prove that you are self employed.

Self-Employed Income

If you are running a business on a self employed basis then you may need to complete a self assessment. Even if you’re just selling goods or services on a casual basis you may well be classed as a trader which means you are technically self employed. HMRC will only ask that you complete the self-employed section of a tax return where your total self employed turnover exceed £1,000 in a tax year. If HMRC identify your activity as a hobby rather than actually trading then they will not request that you submit a self assessment. Sometimes even where your self employed business is operating at a loss you may want to report those losses to HMRC so that they can be utilised against future profits. This can be done via the self assessment.

Ready to know your numbers?

Get access to exclusive courses, resources & videos on our FREE membership site.


If you are a partner in a partnership then you will need to register for self assessment. The partnership itself will also need to be registered and submit a partnership return although it will not be liable to pay any tax. Each partner will need to declare their share of the partnerships profits on their own individual self assessment. 

Rental Income

Where you generate an income from renting property that is not your home, whether you need to register for self assessment or not will depend on how much income you are generating and how much profit you are making. Currently the he first £1,000 of rental income is covered by a rental allowance and if your income in a given tax year is lower than this then you will not need to declare it to HMRC. If your rental income is between £1,000 – £2,500 then you can inform HMRC by contacting them by phone or post but you will need to register for self assessment if either of the following apply:

  • Income from property rental is between £2,500 – £9,999 after allowable expenses
  • Income from property rental is more than £10,000 before allowable expenses
For those that generate rental income from renting out rooms in, or part of their own home then there are a separate set of rules to consider as rent a room relief may apply. If you qualify the first £7,500 of income will be exempt and there would be no need to register for self assessment below this amount. Once you exceed £7,500 in a tax year then you will need to register for self assessment.

Tips And Commissions

Although HMRC list tips and commissions as a potential trigger to register for self assessment, their guidance is generally vague as to specific situations where you would be required to register. Commissions are usually calculated and paid directly by the employer who would calculate and deduct tax and national insurance where required. The general rule with tips is that where your employer is in control of how tips are distributed they will also be responsible for tax and national insurance reporting but where you receive tips and payments directly from the customer it will be your responsibility. Even where you are responsible for reporting and paying tax you still might not need to register for self assessment. In this scenario you can contact HMRC by phone or post to inform them of the additional income. In most cases they will simply adjust your tax code so that the additional tax is collected via PAYE but where this is not possible or practical they could ask you to complete a self assessment return.

Savings, Investments & Dividend Income

There are numerous tax free allowances for individuals who save and invest. With bank interest, dividends and capital gains all falling into this category. Some of these income sources such as UK bank interest tends to have some tax deducted at source despite individuals receiving a savings allowance which means you may actually be entitled to reclaim some tax if you have overpaid which is done by completing a self assessment or form R40 with HMRC. Where your savings and investment income exceeds £!0,000 in a tax year there is a requirement to register for self assessment even if you believe the amount is covered by tax free allowances.

Foreign Income

Foreign income is any income that wasn’t sourced from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. The Channel Islands and the Isle Of Man are considered foreign for tax purposes. Whether you will actually pay tax or not will depend on your residency status. If you are a considered resident in the UK then you will need to pay tax on foreign income but if you are not considered resident then you will not need to pay tax. Where you think tax may be due you will usually need to register for self assessment to report the income but some foreign income is taxed differently. Foreign income can become a complex area for tax as income can end up being taxed twice in some circumstances. Luckily many countries have some form of double taxation agreement with the UK which helps to prevent this but it’s important to seek professional advice where needed.

Some common examples of foreign income are:

  • Wages if you work abroad
  • Foreign investment income, for example dividends and savings interest
  • Rental income on overseas property
  • Income from pensions held overseas
Where you are not UK resident for tax purposes there is no need to inform HMRC of your foreign income.

Child Benefit Tax Charge

Where you, your partner or a contributing third party (someone who receives child benefits and contributes at least an equal amount towards the child’s upkeep but the child is living with you) is in receipt of child benefit and you have income over £50,000 you may need to register for self assessment and pay a high income child benefit tax charge. If your income is over £50,000 but your partners is higher then it will be their responsibility to register for self assessment and pay the charge but where your income is over £50,000 and the highest of the two incomes then the responsibility is yours.

If you are liable to pay this charge you will need to register for self assessment by 5th October following the end of the tax year. 

Other Reasons To Register For Self Assessment

Some individuals may want to register for self assessment for reasons other than declaring income. There are a number of allowances and claims that can be made via the self assessment return such as applying married couples allowance or claiming employment related expenses. Some individuals will also register for self assessment so that they have a proof of income which is often required for third party applications.

There is nothing stopping someone registering for self assessment even where there is no tax to pay however when an individual commits to submitting a return they also run the risk of incurring penalties should they miss a deadline or report information incorrectly. For this reason we would always recommend speaking to an accountant or contacting HMRC directly before registering for self assessment to see if there are other options available to you.

HMRC also have a handy self assessment tool that allows you to check if you need to submit a tax return.

Ready to know your numbers?

Get access to exclusive courses, resources & videos on our FREE membership site.

Practice based accountant with over 10 years experience, specialising in SME's, Freelancers and Personal Tax. "I take pride in proactively recognising tax planning opportunities on behalf of clients to help them operate more efficiently."

Here’s what our clients say

Browse by category:


You might also like…

photo png

I hope this blog post empowers you... you want higher quality accounting and tax content? Stuff that can really help you save £000's in tax, legally? Head over to our Academy where you can get access to all this ...

Grow & Give Back

We believe in growth and giving back to our community. A percentage of every penny we make goes straight to our charitable partner Nishkam SWAT, serving the homeless in London

Aidhan & Partners is a trading style of a joint venture between Aidhan (Financial Services Ltd), a limited company registered in England under company number 04953002 and Simply Accountants Ltd, a limited company registered in England under company number 08535253.  Our registered office is: Aidhan, 8 Devonshire Square, London EC2M 4PL
Disclaimer – all our content is for general guidance only and does not constitute formal advice. We always recommend you take professional advice.